What is first aid?
In the simplest terms, first aid can be defined as the first set of treatments given to an injured person before they are eventually taken to the hospital where they are given some comprehensive and professional care.
A school is an institution that comprises the interactivities of students and teachers. This gives room from very many frictions to occur during the course of the school activities and this thus leads to regular minor injuries and sometimes major ones.
It is, therefore, a major responsibility of the school administrators to look deeply into the system with which they have chosen to operate and device the best means to manage health risks and also incorporate a very functional first aid policy in the school.
This article focusses mainly on how the school management can manage the health risks of their students and teachers and as well highlights the appropriate first aid measures and training necessary for a student to acquire.
Measures to manage health risks
To effectively create a terrain free of possible threats, the school management and administrators should be able to put some measures into consideration and put the following tips into action
1. Keep exits clear
The class room exits such as the doors and windows should be kept free from obstructions that can lead to students or teachers hitting obstacles. This goes a long way in ensuring that the environments are free from potential hazard causing agents.
2. Hang the decorations and wall clocks properly
When items hanging on the wall are not left to dangle and swing away, a level of safety is guaranteed as any student or staff can be present at the time of fall which can lead to a certain degree of injury.
3. Keep hazardous material out of reach of students
Certain materials are not to be handled by the students. Typical examples are blades, staplers and scissors. These materials pose a huge threat to the students when mishandled and proper measures and checks should be put in place to as much as possible reduce the rate at which the students handle such materials.
4. Be aware of Electrical cords
Make sure that the electrical cords pass through places with little or no traffic. Electrical cords that are considerably dangerous should never be found in areas like the walkways, and doorways. Do not cover them up as there protections can be removed by students and this can be really fatal their health.
5. Ensure that the Electrical circuit is not overload
It is very vital to keep the electrical circuit workload on a very moderate level. This is to reduce occurrences of sparks and thereby reduce the tendencies of electrical accidents.
6. Post an evacuation plan near the door
This is very important as sometimes, it is the most logical thing to resort to. It is thus a safety measure when every other measure fails. This is important because in all, the lives of the students and teachers are the most important.
First aid trainings necessary to a student
A good knowledge of the first aid prepares anyone for a fast and educated response during the situations that call for it. This knowledge is very important that even the students are not exempted. The following are the basic first aid trainings that are necessary for students to go through;
- Basic first aid overview – the general knowledge of what the first aid entails should be educated to the students. This knowledge will help give them some imperial idea about what the first aid entails.
- Fundamentals of the Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation – basic knowledge of the CPR will go a long way in registering in the students that they are up to the task when someone that needs it surfaces. Students won’t hesitate to do it once they know how to. This is why it is important for them to learn it.
- Discerning emergencies – in addition to all the basic teachings about the first aid, students should also be taught how to discern whether a condition has reached the emergency state or not. Good knowledge of this will help the student give certain help prior to the time the patients get attended to by a clinician.
- Emergency response – students should also be taught to respond quickly to certain emergencies and thus engage the right personnel on time.
- Use of certain first aid box constituents – the students should be made to learn the very fundamental things to the done on the first aid. Some of these fundamental things include; fixing bandages, washing wounds, etc.